Monday, August 20, 2007

In: we're watching WEEDS


We're two episodes into Season 3 of Weeds (Showtime, Mondays at 10pm). So far this season has been...fine. The first two episodes (which probably should have been combined into a single ep., maybe a one-hour season premiere if editing it wasn't an option) tackled the index of dramas set up by the Season 2 finale. Both episodes were enjoyable--Weeds always is--but I prefer it when there's a little less life-and-death drama and more of the everyday kookiness.

Love: The ever-changing interpretations of the opening theme song. I like some versions more than others, of course, but I appreciate the extra effort so much; the scene with Doug and Dean in the bathroom, getting high on everything and anything available in the medicine cabinet and their manhood measuring contest; Zooey Deschanel's goodbye speech to Shane (I actually loved her character's entire run on the show, but I'm glad she headed into the sunset when she did); Heylia and Nancy's fight; both Nancy and Celia getting what they deserve--Nancy not getting off the hook for once and Doug breaking down and telling Celia to her post-coital face that she is a huge mistake and that he is madly in love with his wife.

Hate: No definitive proof that Peter is dead (actually, I kind of respect the writers for this one, but only if he's really dead. If he's alive and shows up 20 episodes from now Days of Our Lives style, I will not be amused); the whole Nancy-is-a-MILF thing (we get it, promise); and--is it me, or are the writers kind of phoning in Conrad's character right now? I guess that being held at gunpoint is a good reason to act wooden, but I can't help thinking that his character was out of character. Also, I'm worried that the U-Turn drama is. never. going. to. end. I know it's only been an hour and a half total from last year's finale to this week's episode, but that's a lot of time for such a quick and buoyant show to spend on one afternoon.

No comments: